We’re Going Green & Giving Back
This Thursday is ThanksGiving and so begins the annual BlackFriday and other such deals weekend.
I doubt there is a single person who is not consciously trying to shop local and Irish for all their Christmas presents this year. The community and initiatives born out of Lockdown to support Irish businesses have been simply phenomenal and to see the whole country band together to #AllRise has been incredible. I am truly grateful for all of the support and the community that has built up around these programmes and through my Facebook groups.
At PilatesOnline we want to be part of the movement and the give back so I have put together a series of events running from this Thursday -ThanksGiving right through to Cyber Monday.
I am proud to be turning GREEN and joining the #ChampionGreen #SupportIrish #AllRise #ShopIrishOnline Campaigns
If you are Championing Green this year & doing your Christmas shopping consider giving your loved one a gift from us. It is more than just a present; it is giving them the tools to live with fewer aches and pains in a healthier, stronger & more limber body. With active relaxation and stress reduction for better mood and mind balance.
You are giving them the motivation, support, education and plans to live a healthier life; body and mind. Something we ALL need going into 2021!
This weekend’s GiveBack event is all laid out over on our Facebook Page but here is a little sneaky peek at what’s coming up…
I am extending my first deal only to FrontLineWorker and Teachers who are keeping the show on the road.
*Offers expire Monday 30th 11pm
September Commitment to Myself!
Over the last few weeks, it’s become clear that change can happen at any time. I like routine and I like to know what my plan is. With 4 small kids, I am not a fan of another new normal! But I am doing my best to adapt to this new way of life without pushing myself over the edge. Slowly but surely I’ve come to realise that consistency is how I am going to stay healthy and sane this winter. I am going to focus on small daily routines or habits- where I can! – and as the world swirls around me I will hang on to them and finish each day with a small sense of achievement- even if my day has been turned upside down- again.
It is going to be a long winter without the classes & activities we have been used to. Motivating myself on long summer evenings is one thing.. but dark winter days are different. I have missed the sense of community from all the classes I used to teach in the studio but I have been pleasantly surprised by the new online community of ‘virtual’ clients that we have developed and I am looking forward to their company this winter. Without the feedback and sense of achievement I get from pilatesonline.ie members I would really struggle to stay motivated. I hope our community is providing that support to everyone who joins us.
It’s becoming obvious that even though we will get snippets of near normality over the coming months there will be frequent interruptions and restrictions. So take a bit of time over the next few weeks and plan out how you will keep movement and exercise a constant part of your weekly routine regardless of the restrictions or regulations.
If you spend your days racing around looking after about 3 different to-do lists then PAUSE and make a plan to look after YOU too. I’ve created a new Challenge SeptemberSculpt which is completely FREE for Members or part of a 10Class Pass. So if you are like me and need a could do with a little motivation and something to commit to you will love my SeptemberSculpt 10 class challenge or my SculptPLUS plan!
Find the Details HERE
Homeschooling is FINALLY over. Now, what about me??
Homeschooling is FINALLY over. Now, what about me??
We are all getting on with things as best we can but that shouldn’t be enough. I know I have definitely felt the effects of too much food, drink and not enough movement.
As we emerge from lockdown and pitch a tent in front of our hairdresser (or is that just me?!) it is important to break the cycle and reset.
As women, we have experienced such increased stress and pressure since the lockdown. I feel like a 1950’s housewife in an article I read recently that really made me think. Without childcare and with limited family support home can feel like a fortress. Had the restrictions eased for Phase 2?? I hadn’t noticed through the din of 4 children destroying my house….
I am definitely glad the daily homeschool battle is over. I have vowed that I will use it to get outside a bit more with the kids. I have also promised myself a bit of ‘me’ time to recharge and do something that re-energizes me.
If you are looking for some advice and guidance about where to start with exercise or fitness check out my free mini-course for mothers of ALL ages Your Post Baby Body Explained
We all need a bit of community right now. I know I do.
Navigating pregnancy in this ‘new normal’
Navigating pregnancy in this ‘new normal’
I have 4 kids and over 17 years of experience as a Pilates & PreNatal fitness instructor for hundreds of pregnant women and new mums. I’ve learned a few things along the way! Some of them I’ve learned the hard way but often I have learned them from listening to other women, hearing their experiences, getting advice and asking questions.
As we emerge from lockdown I am so very conscious of all the expectant Mums I am missing over the past few months. So many women now are going through their pregnancies in isolation. The EXACT opposite of what we need as pregnant women.
So many new mums are also missing out on the community and shared experience and support of Mother & Baby classes. These are crazy times and we get on with it as best we can- but it’s not easy. As the restrictions ease it can be even harder to figure out a ‘new normal’ as a pregnant woman.
Months ago I wrote a blog listing my ‘top tips’ for pregnant women. Now as I look at my list I see how even the simplest things are harder today for pregnant women, especially first-time mothers. Where can you go safely and what classes are out there? But although it is hard to get information or support it doesn’t make it any less important to please keep trying.
My advice for pregnant women is simple.
1. Knowledge is POWER. Knowledge about prenatal wellness, exercise, physical and mental preparation, labour options and postnatal recovery are so important for a smoother journey. Learn as much as you can. You don’t have to agree or like it but learn about all your options!
2. Work SMARTER. Exercising incorrectly during pregnancy is risky. Our bodies change so much during pregnancy so exercising safely is the no.1 priority to be better prepared for labour and postnatal recovery. As many as 60% of new mums carry abdominal separation injury past the initial 12 week period. This can lead to many health issues with the back, core and bladder. You can exercise safely and work hard. Long-term ab separation among my BabyBumps prenatal clients are as low as 10% and I am a merciless instructor!
3. It’s ALL about the postnatal recovery. Even the worst labour can only last a matter of hours! But postnatal recovery can take months and years if it is neglected. It is normal to have lots of ‘weird stuff’ after a baby but it is not normal if it is still there when your baby is a toddler. There are so many things you can do during pregnancy to avoid or minimize postnatal issues. You need to get prepared and stop thinking the labour is the finale. It’s only the beginning!
4. Keep MOVING FORWARD. I meet so many women who want to ‘get their old body back’ after the baby is born. Once you have a baby you can never go back! You have an updated version of you with more strength & stamina then you knew you ever had. What ‘worked before’ needs to be updated with a new approach to fitness and exercise. You need to understand how to rebuild your strength & regain good functionality before you tackle the aesthetics.
Remember… just because it’s simple doesn’t mean it’s easy. But it will be worth it.
My BabyBumps Pregnancy virtual classes are live every week and you can join from the safety of your home.
#NewNormal What To Expect Returning To Studio Classes
A step by step Customer guide for your first, post reopening, visit.
What to expect…
- Upon arrival to the Studio building cover your mouth and nose properly with a mask or face covering. This is an enforced policy at present – please do not remove your covering for the duration of your visit.
- Enter the building and use the stairs to access our floor.
- Keeping to the RIGHT side of stairs – signage in place
- We are operating a ONE in one out in the toilet for Hand Washing.
- Compulsory hand washing before entering the studio is a cornerstone of the safety features we are adopting. Please execute diligently.
- This may result in a Que system along the RIGHT side of the stairs THREE steps apart – Markings in place
- The Waiting Area is OUT OF USE during this time.
- Come right to the end of the hall – The BOTTOM door is the new ENTRANCE.
- We will endeavour to keep all doors OPEN in advance of class start times avoiding any contact with doors along your journey.
- Before entering you must take off your shoes and place all belonging (please keep to a minimum) into your bag
- There is an automatic Hand Sanitizer immediately inside the door.
- As you enter please follow directions to the 1st available spot.
- Once you enter you will see the designated spots to place YOUR OWN MAT onto.
- Walk up to the store deposit your belongings in one of the cubbies & roll out your mat on your designated spot. Please stay on your mat until the class is over.
- Because of the handwashing, there will be a staggered entry so please be swift to get your mat down & your belongings stowed away.
- The designated areas as specifically set to ensure correct social distance PLEASE do not place your mat anywhere except inside one of these outlines.
- Enjoy your class!!!
- When the class is finished STAY at your spot and roll up your mat.
- From the TOP (closest to the store) one at a time go to the store to retrieve your items GO BACK TO YOUR SPOT. Put your shoes/coat etc on and one by one leave via the TOP door.
- The cubbies will be the first thing the instructors sanitize after each class.
- Ensure to hand sanitizer as you leave the studio.
Feel the effects of the class for at least 2 days or you were not working hard enough!!! Get your next week’s classes booked in.
I am so looking forward to welcoming everyone back and I already know there will be plenty of new faces who have been joining us online.
In the meantime please observe all guidelines so we can open and stay open.